In our series on bringing awareness to our World Environment, our latest article addresses the lowdown on climate change.
In the universe are billions of galaxies,
In our galaxy are billions of planets,
But there is Only One Earth.#OnlyOneEarth
- To limit global warming to 1.5°C by the end of the century, we must halve annual greenhouse gas emissions by 2030.
- There is a 50 per cent chance that global warming will exceed 1.5°C in the next two decades.
- Methane, the primary component of natural gas, is responsible for more than 25 per cent of the warming we are experiencing today.
- The climate crisis causes extreme weather events that kill or displace thousands and result in economic losses measured in the trillions.
- Investments in renewable energy can deliver high economic multipliers, have a high potential to crowd in private investment and are an important step on the road to economy-wide decarbonization.
- Even under the most optimistic scenario where net-zero is reached by 2050, global warming will continue in the short to medium term, potentially levelling off at 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels.